John Middleton A Life in Business and Baseball
John Middleton is a successful businessman and philanthropist who is best known for his ownership of the Philadelphia Phillies baseball team. He is also the chairman of John Middleton Inc., a tobacco products company founded by his great-great-grandfather in 1856. Middleton has been a generous supporter of a number of charitable causes, and he is a respected figure in the Philadelphia business community.
Early Life and Career
John Middleton was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on September 26, 1946. He is the son of John Middleton Sr., a successful businessman, and Marion Middleton. Middleton attended the Haverford School, a prestigious private school in Haverford, Pennsylvania. He then went on to study economics at the University of Pennsylvania, where he graduated in 1968.
After college, Middleton joined the family business, John Middleton Inc., as a salesman. He quickly rose through the ranks and became president of the company in 1977. Under Middleton’s leadership, John Middleton Inc. has become one of the largest privately held tobacco companies in the United States.
Middleton is a generous supporter of a number of charitable causes. He is the co-founder of the Philadelphia Foundation, one of the largest community foundations in the United States. He has also served on the boards of directors of a number of other charitable organizations, including the United Way of Southeastern Pennsylvania and the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia.
Middleton purchased a minority stake in the Philadelphia Phillies baseball team in 1997. He became the team’s majority owner in 2003. Under Middleton’s ownership, the Phillies have won the National League World Series twice, in 2008 and 2009.
Middleton is married to Leigh Middleton. The couple has three children.
Awards and Honors
Middleton has been inducted into the Philadelphia Business Hall of Fame and the Pennsylvania Chamber of Commerce Hall of Fame. He has also received the Philadelphia Award, the city’s highest honor.
John Middleton is a successful businessman, philanthropist, and baseball owner. He is a respected figure in the Philadelphia community and has made a significant impact on the city.
- 1977: Became president of John Middleton Inc., one of the largest privately held tobacco companies in the United States.
- 1997: Purchased a minority stake in the Philadelphia Phillies baseball team.
- 2003: Became majority owner of the Philadelphia Phillies.
- 2008: Led the Phillies to their first World Series championship in 28 years.
- 2009: Led the Phillies to their second World Series championship in two years.
- John Middleton Inc.: A leading tobacco products company.
- Philadelphia Phillies: A Major League Baseball team that has won two World Series championships under Middleton’s ownership.
Estimated to be between $300 million and $500 million.
Social Media Presence
- Twitter: @JohnSMiddleton
- LinkedIn: John S. Middleton
- Facebook: John S. Middleton
- Married: Leigh Middleton
- Children: Three
- Residence: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Hobbies and Interests
- Baseball: A lifelong fan of the Philadelphia Phillies.
- Golf: An avid golfer.
- Philanthropy: A generous supporter of a number of charitable causes.
- Tobacco Industry: Middleton has been criticized for his ownership of a tobacco company, which has been linked to a number of health problems.
- Phillies Ticket Prices: Some fans have criticized Middleton for raising ticket prices to Phillies games.
- Co-founder of the Philadelphia Foundation: One of the largest community foundations in the United States.
- Served on the boards of directors of a number of other charitable organizations: Including the United Way of Southeastern Pennsylvania and the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia.
No known health issues.
- Haverford School: A prestigious private school in Haverford, Pennsylvania.
- University of Pennsylvania: Studied economics and graduated in 1968.
- Salesman at John Middleton Inc.: Quickly rose through the ranks and became president of the company in 1977.
- Phillies Stadium Renovations: Middleton has announced plans to renovate Phillies Stadium.
- Development of the surrounding area around Phillies Stadium: Middleton is also involved in the development of the area around Phillies Stadium.
Style and Fashion
- Classic and understated style: Dresses in well-tailored suits and ties.
- Phillies fans are some of the most passionate in Major League Baseball: Middleton is a popular figure among Phillies fans.
Political or Social Activism
- Has not been publicly involved in any political or social causes: Focuses on his business and philanthropic endeavors.
- Great-great-grandson of the founder of John Middleton Inc.: The company was founded in 1856.
- Has been inducted into the Philadelphia Business Hall of Fame and the Pennsylvania Chamber of Commerce Hall of Fame: Also received the Philadelphia Award, the city’s highest honor.